Coober Pedy Local Services
Coober Pedy ArticlesGenerally Visitors arrive from Search Services directly to the Coober Pedy site Articles, Login to create your Ads, Articles and Events in any Australian Town or City.
Got something to say? A Great Strategy is to create your content here first and THEN like it to your Social Media Groups. Get it?
Coober Pedy Photo GalleryA Compilation of network Member Photos tagged in Coober Pedy When you ad your Articles, Ads and Events you can Nominate your Photo to appear in a Gallery. Member Photo's will automatically Backlink to your Website or Social Media Services. Generally Visitors arrive from Search Services directly to the Photos and may click through to visit your Business or Community website. A Strategy to boost visitors to your website or service is to write Great Article and include your Photos in a Gallery
Singles and Dating
Coober Pedy Singles and DatingThe Make a Heart service is being developed by the Australian Regional Network for Coober Pedy Residents, you can also try our other Dating Services on this link for 18-25's and Seniors Dating 50+
Coober Pedy ChatRemember the days of the CB Radio? Not many do.. Old Style Chat Rooms accross your Town, State and Nationally.. A Free Service for Coober Pedy and a Place to Meet
The cooberpedy.town Odd Spot
Interesting facts about Coober Pedy
Welcome to Coober Pedy, a small town located in South Australia that is known for its unique characteristics. Here are some interesting facts about this town:
1. Coober Pedy is often referred to as the "opal capital of the world" due to the abundance of opals that are found in the area. In fact, around 70% of the world's opals are found in South Australia.
2. The town is situated in a desert region and experiences extreme temperatures that can reach up to 113 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and plummet to below freezing at night.
3. To escape the heat, many of the residents of Coober Pedy live underground in dugout homes which are carved into the sandstone cliffs. These dwellings provide natural insulation, keeping the temperature comfortable year-round.
4. The world's first commercial solar power station was established in Coober Pedy in 1981. The station was built to provide electricity to the town and still operates today.
5. Coober Pedy is home to the longest golf course in the world, stretching over 5,500 yards and comprised of several makeshift holes throughout the town.
6. The town was used as the filming location for Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and the futuristic city of Bartertown.
7. Coober Pedy is also home to the OZ Minerals Prominent Hill Copper-Gold Mine which is one of the largest mines in Australia.
8. Despite being a small town, Coober Pedy has its own airport which offers regular flights to and from Adelaide.
9. The name "Coober Pedy" comes from the local Aboriginal term "kupa-piti" which means "white man's hole."
10. The annual Opal Festival is held in Coober Pedy each year and includes events such as the Opal Queen Ball, camel races, and a parade showcasing the local opal industry.
Coober Pedy is a truly unique town with a rich history and fascinating features that make it a must-see destination in South Australia.